Once you have been in contact with the Program Coordinator and you have defined your travel dates and the duration of your participation in the volunteer program at Macaw Lodge, you need to keep in mind the following tips:
- Have your passport ready and updated. Renew it if necessary (check if you need a visa, contact your embassy). If the volunteering lasts more than three months, contact the Program Coordinator for advice.) Bring a copy of your passport, it will come handy when you travel on your free time. For security purposes it is better to leave the passport with us and travel with the copy.
- Update your vaccines.
- Buy your Airline ticket as soon as you can to Juan Santamaria International Airport in San Jose (SJO). If you pass by USA do not forget your ESTA. If you need advice, please ask!
- The moment you have your ticket, inform the Coordinator.
- Here is a list of things-to-bring
- Provide us with 2 emergency contacts.
- Unlock your phone from home so you can put a local SIM Card on your phone. It’s going to be absolutely necessary for us to communicate by phone.
Don’t forget in Costa Rica the official currency are the Colones, in the city or big stores they can accept US Dollars but it is always better to carry Colones. There is no ATM near the Lodge and they don’t accept US Dollars. The nearest ATM is one hour from the Lodge in Jaco. Anyway, don’t bring much cash, but make sure with your bank that you can take out money from Costa Rica’s ATM.
Internship: Take into account the time it will take you to sign the paperwork with the University Autorities.
Finally, bring your good humor, motivation, open to learn everything you can!